WILSON READING SYSTEM®- CLOSING THE GAP
FOR STRUGGLING READERS:
"The Wilson Reading System (WRS) is the flagship program of Wilson Language Training and the foundation of all other Wilson programs. Based on Orton-Gillingham principles, WRS is a highly-structured remedial program that directly teaches the structure of the language to students and adults who have been unable to learn with other teaching strategies, or who may require multisensory language instruction. Appropriate for students in grade 2 and beyond, WRS is widely used with notable success in public and private schools, clinics, adult education classes, family literacy programs, and correctional facilities" (Wilson Language Website). This is a structured and assessment based step-by-step program. Under grade 2 can be accepted with WADE Testing deficiencies and will be instructed with integration from Wilson "Fundations." The Wilson "Fundations" program is similar to WRS but is more child friendly.
WILSON READING PROGRAM HIGHLIGHTS:
Wilson Reading offers a research-based program with more than twenty years of data collected and analyzed from school districts implementing the program.
1) Provides a systematic and cumulative approach to teach total word structure for
decoding and encoding.
2) Each session the student follows a ten-part personalized lesson plan that addresses
decoding, encoding, oral reading fluency, and comprehension in a sensible and
3) Teacher makes all instruction multisensory and interactive.
4) Uses a unique "sound tapping" system.
5) Has one of the most extensive collections of controlled and decodable text (word lists,
sentences, stories) for students beyond the primary grades.
6) Provides two levels of vocabulary, making this program appropriate
for students in elementary, middle, and high school, as well as adults.
7) Uses criterion-based assessments built into the program to measure student progress
8) Is a comprehensive program that can follow students from grade to grade.
For more information about the Wilson Reading System, go to www.wilsonlanguage.com.
For evidence of the effectiveness of the Wilson Reading System, go to www.wilsonlanguage.com/evidence_of_effective.asp